This page provides information about coastal erosion of Southern Lake Michigan. According to the USGS about 83 percent of the shoreline is privately-owned with property values as high as $10,000 per linear foot of lakefront.
This PDF provides questions and answers to important questions about residential shorelines including:
- What causes erosion?
- What are high risk erosion areas?
- How are HREAS determined?
- What if I want to build in a high risk erosion area?
- What kinds of construction projects require a permit?
- My house is too close to the shoreline, do I have to move it?
- What are my options for shoreline protection?